All Saints’ churchyard has been closed since 1991 so no further burials or interments of ashes are permitted there. The current Burial Ground which is adjacent to it is managed by Doddinghurst Parish Council. For enquiries, please contact the parish clerk (firstname.lastname@example.org or 01277 823410).
All Saints’ churchyard is an historic place. The first recorded burial was of Elizabeth Glascock in 1560 and the oldest extant gravestone with a legible inscription is from 1683, at the burial place of a former rector of All Saints, Nathaniel Snow. However, we are well aware that as the church is 13th century many, many graves have disappeared over the centuries.
The churchyard was extended northwards in 1931 and from that date until its closure in 1991, burials were done in orderly rows in the area beyond the beautiful field maple behind the church. Genealogical information about these burials is available elsewhere on the website. We have several graves of particular interest, but we feel very strongly that looking after all the untended graves shows respect for the generations that have gone before us.
Please see the attached PDF for details of the graves from 1932 to the closure of the Churchyard. Row plans are also included. Please click here to see copies of the Burial Registers from 1560 to 1812
Our Churchyard won First prize in 2018 in the Rural Community Council of Essex best kept Churchyard competition. Our churchyard also won 3rd prize in 2015, 2016 and 2017 in the Brentwood in Bloom (religious grounds) competition run by Bennetts the undertakers.